Go to Email, News, & TV to manage your email, view your favorite TV shows, search the web, stay up to date with current news and more.
Verizon FiOS Brings Customers NBCUniversal's Coverage of 2012 London Summer Olympic Games July 25-August 12
Video Subscribers Gain Access to Unprecedented Live Coverage on Multiple PlatformsNews Release
NEW YORK – July 23, 2012 –
Verizon FiOS, in agreement with NBCUniversal, today announced a multiplatform content offering for NBCUniversal's coverage of the London 2012 Summer Olympic Games to commence on Wednesday, July 25, through Sunday, August 12. Designed to provide video subscribers with access to NBCUniversal's more than 5,535 hours of unprecedented Olympic programming, this offering represents the largest number of total Olympics hours ever. Verizon will offer its FiOS customers NBCUniversal's Olympic content live and on demand, across multiple digital, mobile and tablet platforms. And for the first time, 242 hours of the games will be available in 3D.
"Verizon is excited to provide our FiOS customers with NBCUniversal's unprecedented coverage of the 2012 London Olympics on multiple platforms," said Terry Denson, vice president of global content strategy for Verizon. "Whether our customers are at home or on the go, they will be able to keep up with round-the-clock Olympics programming. Watching NBCUniversal's Olympic coverage with the incredible speed of FiOS Internet and HD picture quality of FiOS TV will give our customers an Olympics experience like never before."
In addition to extensive coverage on the networks of NBCUniversal - NBC, NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo and Telemundo, two HD specialty channels and a 3D channel - subscribers, wherever they go, can stay connected to the London Summer Olympic Games exclusively via NBCOlympics.com, and the "NBC Olympics" and "NBC Olympics Live Extra" apps available to mobile and tablet users.
As part of a FiOS TV customer's video subscription, which includes all Olympic television content, NBCUniversal is bringing Olympic content to subscribers live and on demand, online, and on mobile and tablet devices via applications. This additional access to NBCUniversal's Olympic programming extends FiOS TV customers' opportunities to watch the games.
Following are multiplatform offerings that will allow FiOS TV customers to watch and be a part of the 2012 London Olympic Summer Games.
NBCUniversal's Olympics experience on Verizon FiOS TV features:
- NBCOlympics.com - NBC Olympics Live Extra, the exclusive home of Olympic live stream content at NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra, is available now to verified customers who subscribe to a package that includes CNBC and MSNBC and who sign in. NBCOlympics.com will live stream more than 3,500 total programming hours from NBCUniversal networks, including NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, CNBC and Bravo, for the first time so that FiOS TV customers can easily verify their subscriptions and watch Olympic coverage live online at no additional charge. Those subscribers who sign in and verify their subscriptions by Friday, July 27 can enter the NBC Olympics Live Extra Sweepstakes for a chance to win prizes including a trip to the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, an HDTV, and other prizes, courtesy of NBCUniversal. FiOS TV customers should follow these verification procedures to access Olympic programming via NBCOlympics.com:
1. Go to NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra
2. Click the "Click here & Get Ready" button
3. Select FiOS TV
4. Enter the username and password that corresponds with your FiOS TV account
5. You are signed in throughout the Games on that device.
FiOS TV customers also can link to the NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra website through FiOS TV Online: http://www.verizon.com/FiOSTVOnline.
- Mobile and Tablet Apps - NBCUniversal will offer two apps for mobile and tablet viewing. "The NBC Olympics Live Extra" app will be available to verified FiOS TV customers and will offer the same live streaming and event replays available via NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra. FiOS TV customers can verify their mobile and tablet devices when the "NBC Olympics Live Extra" app launches in mid-July. The "NBC Olympics" app will include short-form highlights, schedules, results, columns and more, and will also link to the "NBC Olympics Live Extra" app.
- On Demand - NBCUniversal is making Olympic highlights and full-event rewinds available via FiOS TV's Video-On-Demand service. See U.S. athletes compete in diving, gymnastics, swimming, and track and field with more than 100 highlights covering the U.S. Olympic trials. All this on-demand programming is free on FiOS TV.
Pre-Games - Viewers can access more than 120, four- to eight-minute clips available in SD and HD.
In Games - NBCU will offer more than 550 highlight clips, in addition to 240 full-length event replays, available within 24 hours of an event's completion, all in HD and SD.
- Interactive TV - FiOS TV customers will have access to an on-screen interactive application with NBCUniversal's real-time medal counts, athlete bios, team USA reports, Olympic news and more. The interactive TV experience is available to FiOS TV customers during Olympic programming on the following NBCUniversal networks: NBC, NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo and Telemundo.
- 3D - Panasonic Corporation of North America and the NBC Sports Group have partnered to make the London 2012 Olympic Games available in 3D to FiOS TV customers. The effort will produce 242 hours of coverage and marks the first time that the Olympic Games will be distributed in the U.S. in 3D. The 3D broadcasts will be shown on next-day delay and will span multiple competitions throughout the games. FiOS TV customers can find this programming on Channel 1003.
- Specialty Channels - Dedicated 24/7 basketball and soccer channels are available to FiOS TV customers and will total 770 hours of NBC's HD coverage. FiOS TV customers can find Olympics basketball on Channel 594, and Olympics soccer on Channel 596.
NBCUniversal's 2012 London Olympic Summer Games will run for 19 days and nights, covering every sport, medal, champion and riveting moment. For more information, visit www.NBCOlympics.com or http://entertainment.verizon.com/nbclondongames/.
About NBC Olympics
A division of the NBC Sports Group, NBC Olympics is responsible for producing, programming and promoting NBCUniversal's Olympic coverage. It is renowned for its unsurpassed Olympic heritage, award-winning production, and ability to aggregate the largest audiences in U.S. television history.
Having produced every Summer Olympics since Seoul in 1988 and every Winter Olympics since Salt Lake City in 2002, the networks of NBCUniversal are synonymous with the Games in the United States. In 2011, NBCUniversal acquired the U.S. media rights on all platforms to the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics, the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics, and the 2020 Summer Olympics. At the conclusion of the 2020 Games, NBCUniversal will have presented 17 total Olympic Games and 11 consecutive, the most for a U.S. media company in both categories.
NBC has won an unprecedented 91 Emmy Awards for its Olympics coverage, as well as a prestigious Peabody Award for its presentation of the Beijing Opening Ceremony in 2008, which USA Today said was "the best overall Olympic experience ever provided by a U.S. network."
In addition to its unsurpassed heritage and award-winning production, NBCUniversal is known for aggregating large Olympic audiences, as nine of the top 11 most-watched U.S. television events of all time are Olympic Games presented across the networks of NBCUniversal. The Beijing Summer Olympics rank No. 1 with 215 million viewers.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, with more than 94 million retail customers nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers integrated business solutions to customers in more than 150 countries, including all of the Fortune 500. A Dow 30 company with $111 billion in 2011 revenues, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of more than 188,000. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.