Go to Email, News, & TV to manage your email, view your favorite TV shows, search the web, stay up to date with current news and more.
More Cable TV Choice for Rhode Island Consumers
90,000 More Households Now Can Order Verizon's FiOS TVNews Release
January 10, 2008 –
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Beginning today, consumers in some 90,000 more Rhode Island households have a choice in cable TV providers now that Verizon has introduced FiOS TV, making a broad range of programming choices and superior picture quality available to thousands more Ocean State households.
The Rhode Island Division of Public Utilities and Carriers recently gave Verizon approval to offer TV service in Charlestown, Cranston, Foster, Hopkinton, Johnston, Narragansett, North Providence, Providence, Richmond, Scituate, South Kingstown and Westerly.
FiOS TV is already available to more than 80,000 households in seven Rhode Island communities -- Coventry, East Greenwich, Exeter, North Kingstown, Warwick, West Greenwich and West Warwick. The service is also available in locations in New York, New Jersey, California, Delaware, Texas, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Indiana and Virginia.
Verizon is currently seeking licenses to offer FiOS TV in the Rhode Island communities of Burrillville, Central Falls, Cumberland, East Providence, Glocester, Lincoln, North Smithfield, Pawtucket, Smithfield and Woonsocket. For more information on the Verizon franchise process in the state, visit www.verizon.com/ri.
Donna Cupelo, Verizon region president for Massachusetts and Rhode Island, said, "FiOS TV gives consumers in Rhode Island an outstanding, superior alternative for their video entertainment. Customers in Rhode Island who liked what FiOS did for their Internet connection will love what it does for their TV. We've harnessed the speed and capacity of fiber-based broadband with the power of broadcast to create a revolutionary, new entertainment experience."
Rhode Island residents who are FiOS TV-eligible now have the option to trim their monthly bills by bundling FiOS TV service, FiOS Internet service and the Verizon Freedom Value unlimited calling plan, all for $94.99 a month.
Service highlights include:
- FiOS TV Premier, the lead offer, delivers more than 200 all-digital channels.
- A total of 30 high-definition channels with extraordinary clarity and theater-quality sound.
- A library of more than 10,000 on-demand titles, 60 percent of which are free.
- A choice of seven different set-top boxes, including standard definition for $4.99 per month; high definition, which includes HD channels, for $9.99 per month; and a dual-tuner, HD-capable digital video recorder for $15.99 per month.
- Channels grouped by genres such as entertainment, sports, news, shopping, movies and family, making it easy for audiences to find their favorite programming.
- An easy-to-use interactive programming guide that integrates HD programming, On Demand content and the digital video recorder along with broadcast television into a seamless user experience.
- The option of Home Media DVR, featuring a multi-room DVR that enables up to three simultaneous viewings of recorded programs without requiring customers to set up a complex home network or buy extra equipment. The recorder is bundled with Media Manager, a new feature that lets customers easily access photos and music from their personal computer and play them on their entertainment center where they look and sound the best.
- FiOS TV Widgets, a free interactive feature that provides local weather and traffic information.
Programming choices for Hispanic, African-American, Asian, Russian and other multicultural audiences are available in every market. Because FiOS TV has so much capacity, it is an outlet for emerging and independent networks to showcase their diverse programming.
Information on packages and prices is available at www.verizon.net/fiostv. Rhode Island customers also can call 1-888-GET-FIOS to see if they qualify to order FiOS TV.
FiOS TV is designed to be a formidable competitor to cable and satellite. Verizon's fiber-to-the-premises (FTTP) network, the largest of its kind in the country, is currently under construction in more than half the states where the company offers landline communications services.
The network brings the power and capacity of fiber optics directly into people's homes and has industry-leading quality and reliability. Fiber delivers amazingly sharp pictures and sound, and has the capacity to transmit a wide array of high-definition programming that is so clear and intense it seems to leap from the TV screen. It also delivers Internet download speeds of up to 50 Mbps (megabits per second) and upload speeds of up to 5 Mbps as well as high-quality voice services.
The value of FiOS TV extends to the installation and customer support. Specially trained Verizon technicians will install the service and acquaint subscribers with FiOS TV features and services. Verizon is waiving the installation fee for up to three existing TV outlets, and there is no charge to install a needed optical network terminal at the subscriber's home. Charges for other installation services, such as additional outlets, may apply. Verizon provides 24 x 7 technical assistance by phone from its Fiber Solutions Centers in Providence, and other cities.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE:VZ), headquartered in New York, is a leader in delivering broadband and other wireline and wireless communication innovations to mass market, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, serving 63.7 million customers nationwide. Verizon's Wireline operations include Verizon Business, which delivers innovative and seamless business solutions to customers around the world, and Verizon Telecom, which brings customers the benefits of converged communications, information and entertainment services over the nation's most advanced fiber-optic network. A Dow 30 company, Verizon has a diverse workforce of nearly 238,000 and last year generated consolidated operating revenues of more than $88 billion. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.